Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Take For Granted



As a college student, we were taught that reckless assumption is the beginning of the doom. It leads us to a false direction, wrong conclusion. But somehow, half of people in the world have a tendency to assume anything. They assume that every parents love their children. They assume that snakes bite. They assume that the sky won’t fall out in a second. But half others know better. Some parents abandon their heir. Some snakes only hiss. And God Knows when the sky collapse. The truth is overlooked by the assumption. Because the perk of an assumption is…, we feel safe and secure…. While consequently, the trouble is terribly shocking when the assumption fails us.

***

Crossing the street is the first thing every boyscout learned, quoting Elmo from the sesame street. To help an elder treading the zebra cross is a great achievement. And I WAS a boyscout, so to speak. At least for 4 months, until my arms sore from flagging semaphore (meh). But I’ve learned what Elmo learned. To see your right and your left before crossing the street and not to rush walking. Back then, I was really cautious whenever I have to go to the “street”. But not anymore after junior high school. Crossing the street is an easy thing. It’s like folding your shoe laces, or like dribbling the basket ball, or like peeking at someone’s closet. I mean, it’s not like we’re facing a death sentence. It’s a piece of cake. But that is when I’m totally wrong…

I realized it during the first month of driving my own car. First, I cannot say I’m a good driver that time (well, I jumped out the seat everytime there’s a honk behind). Second, I believe in “learning by doing” thing which obviously force me to take the car to every dangerous area that I think I should explore. Idiot indeed, since it means the risk of bumping to another car or even a human being is more than fifty percent. Then it came to my mind like a flood. How if I’m in the other side? I mean, how if I’m the one who presumably crossing the street as a casual routine activity and believe that every car has a pair of eye behind the steering wheel, actually found that the cars passing in front of my eyes are driven by irresponsible or incapable driver? The chance is high since we know how this country runs the driving licence test. I took everything for granted. I assume everyone get their driving license legally. I assume everyone is not medicated or under some drugs. I assume everyone is an expert driver. So, yes, I got the consequences. The victim is my teeth, my lips, my chin, my forearm, and some bruised skin. Heading right to the asphalts.

***

It’s good to know that you have people to confide to. People who always be there when everybody else seems hard to even open their ears. Lately, I’m running out of those people.
“Don't it always seem to go…That you don't know what you got till it's gone”, Counting Crows said while riding their big yellow taxi. I’m two hundred percent agree with them.

One time before the dawn, after some sleepless night, I try to contact some of my bestfriends. The first call is picked-up. We swapped hi and greet. I’m a bit feel guilty since I know the first one I call is not a morning person. But still, I relieved what I had on my head. It’s been a bless. Then to cover up my guiltiness, I apologized for waking him up, and ask if it’s ok if I call again at that wee hour next time. Blatantly he chuckle and said, “Man, I’m getting married next month, remember?” Then I thanked him. Though I know it’s somekind of joke, I took it as a no. I shouldn’t have done it at the first place. It’s kinda rude and selfish. I took him for granted. That he will always available when I’m in need. So I never call anybody more than 23 hundred since then.

***

I’m a fashionably late person. Well, not really fashionable…, but truly late, I admit. However I set my watch one hour ahead, it’s not making me a punctual man. And there are sooo many victims of my bad habit. My family, my friends, even my co-workers.

There was a meeting appointment which I grade myself as a not-really-important person. I think my other co-workers have almost the same information with what I have to deal with some issue. So consciously I put myself in another errand which I think would be better if I finish it earlier and set a standby mode. Not more than fifteen minutes, someone called me. His tone is furious. He was asking where I was and when I would have decency and a little bit responsibility to show my face in the meeting, since everybody wait for me before starting the meeting.

Surprised by the words in the phone, I realized that not only unprofessional, but I also took them for granted. That the issue would be thorough although one or two members are not present. It makes me remember a tale. About a village who try to make the very fine wine. The leader ordered all the villagers to donate one drop of their own wine in a jug. There’s someone who try to think “smart”. If only he drop water instead of wine, it wouldn’t really affect the total taste. But a half of the villagers assume the same. Then we know how a supposed-to-be-very-fine-wine turn out to be the most insipid wine ever known.

***

The constant. That is what keeps us sane in the world. Because everything is change. Nothing in the world but variable. Our life is ups and downs. Back and forth. People come and go. Science always has exemption. I can relate so much with Desmond Hume. With all the insanity in the world…, what we need is something stable. Something to hold on. Something that will always be there. Exist. Alive. Constant.

That is when we realize that the only constant is not a wealth, not a job, not a status, not a family, not a parent, not a friend, not also a lover. The only constant is GOD. Yet, most of the time we take HIM for granted. Maybe because we know that HE WILL ALWAYS LISTEN. That HE WILL ALWAYS PROTECT us. What we often forget is that we HAVE TO ASK first before. But, no. We forget. We cheat. We run from HIM. Therefore…, we lose our CONSTANT…, and prepare to be insane.

No comments: